Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course

Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 7 years, 2 months ago #30

Hello

Can anyone advise please?

With respect to the Vocal Coach lessons taught on Totally Guitars

What is the difference between the Free Beginners and The Beginners Courses on Totally Vocals?

Thanks In Advance

TheresHopeYet
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by thereshopeyet.

Re: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 7 years, 2 months ago #39

• TVJim
  • Expert Boarder
Hi there I guess I'd be the best one to talk about this Since I am the one that created them. So I've actually shot a little video clip that's coming out soon that explains exactly the difference between these 2 courses but I am more than happy to address this here. In the free beginners course I approached it as if I was working with someone who had absolutely no experience and could not put 2 notes together. And of course people like this do show up in my studio for lessons. I started it as basic as possible so such things as just starting one note how one note works from onset, sustained, release is covered before moving onto anything else. From that point on begins the journey, now like any course that beginning may seem too easy to some and still hard for others. If the person will take the time I feel is a very thorough and comprehensive beginning for everybody. What happens in the beginning course(not free) is that it uses exercise covered in the 1st course but gets into things much more thoroughly. And then from there continues on well past anything that was covered in the 1st course. From the study of this course and the understanding of the concept's and abilities of the balancing out of air pressures and some of the tricks to the melody lines, everybody is going to be singing better. I know this because I've been teaching these techniques for years and I get great results.
So there's a little bit of text for you explaining it but be looking soon for a video clip that basically will explain the same topics I just covered here. However, you know what they say? A pictures worse 1000 words.

Keep singing,
TV Jim

Re: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 7 years, 2 months ago #45

TV Jim

Thanks for the reply and explanation.
I will keep an eye out for the video.

When I try to sing my jaw is tense (not relaxed) and voice vibrates and sort of tickles my throat
resulting in my voice breaking up very soon after I start to sing.

I did follow the Vocal Coach lessons on Totally Guitar but if I am honest
I did not follow through.

From your explanation above I will start form the beginning to ensure I don't miss important
early technique to overcome these issues.

If you have any advise you are happy to share to point me in the right direection,
any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TheresHopeYet
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by thereshopeyet.

Re: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 7 years, 2 months ago #47

• TVJim
  • Expert Boarder
I agree with you, and I think it would be wise of you to start from the beginning of my program. When I listen to your explanations (1) the tense jaw and (2) the tickling in your throat, those truly seem like different problems to me. The tense job comes from feeling like you need to use outside muscles in your bone structure to sing a note. The reason why people always tell you to relax your jaw is because you don't need to use those muscles, they always get in the way. Sometimes just thinking about the hinges of your jaw and thinking of relaxing the hinge instead of your jaw actually helps relax your jaw.
Now the tickling in your throat, that points me to the direction that maybe the way you are singing is breathy and your vocal chords are not making the correct closure as the air is being brought through them. I know technical stuff to talk about but the 1st easy fix falls right in line with the beginning exercises that I'm using in the free course. So I want to try a little experiment, learn how to do the lip role exercise. Practice that exercise and then tell me if you feel the tickling in your throat when you're doing that exercise. Also the NG sound as well, same thing do you feel tickling in your throat when your doing that exercise? Hopefully, you don't.... both of those exercises are about learning how to balance the air and not push up too much pressure underneath your vocal cords. It just kind it does it without you having to think too hard about it. So give that a try, good luck and let me know how it goes. I love your handle (theresHopeYet) I hope after working with me for a while you feel I have validated your name.
Keep singing,
TV Jim

Re: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 4 years, 1 month ago #837

• kenk
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Jim:

I understand that the paid Beginners Course is more in depth then the free course. My question is Will I be in over my head if I just went from the free course to the paid intermediate course? Thank you.

Ken

Re: Free Beginners Course vs Beginners Course 4 years, 1 month ago #838

• TVJim
  • Expert Boarder
Hey Ken,

Well of course like I've always pointed out I've really gone out of my way to be thorough about the succession and growth of taking a student from beginning to advanced levels.

Working this all out in courses has been both a joy and challenge for me.

I went out of my way to be extremely thorough knowing I wouldn't necessarily be able to hear a student from one week to the next progressing through the lessons.

I think if you take a look at the beginning nonfree course you'll see there's a lot of very good information before you make it to the intermediate course.

I do think based upon a persons previous and past knowledge it's possible to start at the intermediate course and take it from there.

I think a great option for you however would be to just buy one month's access to everything on the site so you could at least check out the lessons in the beginning course and the intermediate course before you purchase the whole beginning course.

Maybe one month's access could answer the question more correctly for you than I could just buy making assumptions when I actually haven't heard you vocalize.

With that said I don't think you'll be totally lost by starting at the intermediate course and there's plenty there to advance to into the advanced course… But there could be some good points you miss by not working your way through the beginning course up to it.

I do feel each of the courses stand on their own and then progress into new information.

There is definitely a little more overlapping of information between the beginners to the intermediate course than anything that's happening in the advanced course.

The advanced course makes assumptions that you have a lot of very important aspects of range development already in place. And then uses those concepts and introduces many different scales and chords to vocalize to.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it would be a much harder jump to go from the intermediate course to the advanced course that it possibly could be to go from the beginning to intermediate course…

Again if you had the opportunity to just look at the courses you would see that there is a lot of information that's happening in the beginning course that is of great value.

I know I'm being a little redundant here but my best suggestion is just get access to the site for at least a month and look over all of the courses and then make your decision from there.

If you feel you still want more information or have have any additional questions I would be more than happy to address them
Best,

TV Jim.
  • Page: