Join site | Forgot

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

buddy sings OLD MAN
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Only videos uploaded through the Open Mic Uploader will be allowed.
  • Page:

TOPIC: buddy sings OLD MAN

buddy sings OLD MAN 6 years, 4 months ago #843

• buddy
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Jim, When I visit this section of the forum I am always surprised that more people are not taking advantage of such a great resource you provide like Open Mic. Anyways, Here is a rendition of Old Man by Neil Young. The chorus in this song really stretches me to the top of my vocal range. Any suggestion on how to move it along would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Bud

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by buddy.

Re: buddy sings OLD MAN 6 years, 4 months ago #844

• TVJim
  • Expert Boarder
Hey buddy, I totally agree with you...

I don't understand why more members are so shy about posting videos?

Let me start by saying this is a really cool song for your voice and your style...
Really good vocal resonance in your voice.

I actually feel you did a pretty good job even on the high notes that you're asking for help on... but of course we can always improve and in this spirit here's my response.

So on the chorus when you're singing the lyrics "old man" the high note is (Ab) which is right at the top note in basically what I like to call normal mix for you... any note above that is either in head voice or in what I call extended mix...

And the (Ab) is the place where we usually shift From Mix to head voice. (For male baritone and tenors)...

I'm saying this because that's one of the reasons why this is such a tough note for you to sing because you have to pull your mix all the way up to (Ab) and keep it sounding consistent in tone from the bottom notes that you're coming from.

Or of course the other option is you can sing that note in your head voice..
If you do that you need enough resonance in the head voice note's so the sound of the tone will match up more to the other notes in your Mix.....

These high note problems specially when you have to pull mix up a little higher are always answered in your ability to find a way to keep the cords connected/sealed and not push too much air through them while you're singing in this area of your range.

I have some thoughts and exercises for you but like always it's a little more difficult to do it in words here on the forum.. So like other times in the past I'm going to put part of the response to your song here on the forum.

And then introduce and talk about it a little bit more during the musical tip portion of the wrap-up..

That way you'll have some video/audio demonstrations of the exercises.

So be on the lookout for that.

Also, I want to point out that I really have heard great improvement in your presentations and singing ability during your time here with us at totally vocals. Always happy to see you post a song....

Keep singing,
TV Jim
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by TVJim.

Re: buddy sings OLD MAN 6 years, 4 months ago #848

• buddy
  • Senior Boarder
Jim. Thanks much for the great tips and exercises in the weekly wrap up. Your lessons and advice have really helped so much to move my vocals along.

Bud

Re: buddy sings OLD MAN 6 years, 4 months ago #849

• TVJim
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Buddy, glad you're here on the site and being proactive..... as I've already stated always happy to see you post videos.... and yes I really have seen your singing progress thank you for being a member.

keep singing,
TV Jim
  • Page: